High Fiber Facts Everyone Should Implement Into Their Daily Diet
You’ve probably read articles about how a high fiber diet is good for you. While studies have confirmed this to be true, a lot of people still fail to use enough fiber to add high fuel to their diet, even though fiber is exactly what they need. To help ignite your health with a high fiber here are 7 facts to help get you on the right track:
- Most people do not even realize how much fiber they should be eating and that most of the foods they eat do not contain enough fiber in them. According to the institute of Medicine, men should average 38 grams and women should average 25 grams of fiber a day. Start writing down your fiber, you probably need an increase.
2. Fiber will help you stop overeating. Since high fiber foods take longer to chew, reach your stomach and digest, you will feel satisfied for a longer amount of time. Because all of this is true, when eating a high fiber diet, make sure you watch your portions as it it easy to not feel full which will lead to overeating.
3. You can’t cook out fiber. Even if you like your meats well done or if you cook your fruits and vegetables, the fiber stays. Fiber is not just found in the skin of fruits and vegetables. Since fiber is important for kids as well, cooking it with breakfast may be the best way to go (many kids are not big fans of fruit. Fiber is not a plant we can actually digest. You will find it in whole grains so, keep this in mind when making a sandwich for you or your child.
4. A diet high in fiber can help fight against colon cancer and heart disease. Because a high fiber diet helps eliminate high cholesterol in the body and binds the digestive tract, fiber can help to assist in stopping constipation.
5. Eating a diet high in fiber will lead to drinking more water to keep it moving through your digestive tract. Drinking more water will also make you feel more full which leads to less overeating. Remember to drink at least 8 glasses of water a day, preferably more on your high fiber diet
6. Don’t go overboard with fiber. With protein, I am a big proponent of eating one gram per pound you want to weigh per day however, this is not something you want to attempt with fiber. In fact, more than 50 grams of fiber per day has been known to cause diarrhea and bloating which is unhealthy in many ways including interfering with your body’s absorption of key minerals.
7. It doesn’t need to be difficult to get a high amount of fiber in your diet. it may seem that way at first but that’s mainly because so many common foods are not high in fiber. However, by making yourself aware of the amounts of fiber you are intaking on a daily basis, you are going to find several foods you enjoy like raspberries, pears, wheat pasta and spaghetti, air popped popcorn are high in fiber you just hadn’t been eating them.
Is your diet high in fiber? Please comment below!